sabato 12 luglio 2014

York 2014 Edition, Central Theme : Love, Deceit, Pardon and Justice in the Bible

Love, Deceit, Pardon and Justice in the Bible


Isaac meets Rebecca - Created by Alfredo De Grandis
And Isaac went out to meditate in the field toward evening. And he lifted up his eyes , and behold, there were camels coming. And Rebecca lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she dismounted from the camel and said to the servant, “Who is that man, walking in the field to meet us?” The servant said, “It is my master.” So she took her veil and covered herself. And the servant told Isaac all the things that she had done. Then Isaac brought her into the tent of Sarah, his mother, and she became his wife, and he loved her.
Ge 24 – 63,67
Solomon and the prostitutes - Created by Mauro Tivolesi
One day, two prostitutes came and stood before the king. One of them said, "Please, Your Majesty, listen: This woman and I have been living in the same house. I gave birth while she was there. This woman gave birth three days after I did. We stayed together. Apart from the two of us, there was no one else in the house. This woman's son died one night when she rolled over him. She got up in the middle of the night and took my son from my side while I was asleep. She laid him on her chest and laid her dead son on mine. When I got up in the morning to nurse my son, he was dead! But when I looked more closely in the daylight, it turned out that it wasn't my son—not the baby I had birthed." The other woman said, "No! My son is alive! Your son is the dead one." But the first woman objected, "No! Your son is dead! My son is alive!" In this way they argued back and forth in front of the king.The king said, "This one says ‘Get me a sword!" They brought a sword to the king. Then the king said, "Cut the living child in two! Give half to one woman and half to the other woman." Then the woman whose son was still alive said to the king, "Please, Your Majesty, give her the living child; please don't kill him," for she had great love for her son. But the other woman said, "If I can't have him, neither will you. Cut the child in half." Then the king answered and said, “Give the living child to the first woman, and in no way slay it. She is the mother thereof.
1 Ki 3 - 16,27
Susanna and the Elders - Created by Laura Tenaglia
In Babylon there lived a man named Joakim. He was married to a woman called Susanna, a woman of great beauty; and she was God-fearing. Susanna would take a walk in her husband's garden. Two elders, gradually began to desire her. 'Look,' they said, 'the garden door is shut, no one can see us. We want to have you, so give in and let us! Refuse, and we shall both give evidence that a young man was with you and that this was why you sent your maids away.' That is our evidence.' Since they were elders of the people and judges, the assembly accepted their word: Susanna was condemned to death. Daniel who began to shout, 'I am innocent of this woman's death!' At this all the people turned to him and he replied, 'Are you so stupid, children of Israel, as to condemn a daughter of Israel unheard, and without troubling to find out the truth? Go back to the scene of the trial: these men have given false evidence against her.' Then the whole assembly shouted, blessing God, the Saviour of those who trust in him. And they turned on the two elders whom Daniel had convicted of false evidence out of their own mouths. As the Law of Moses prescribes, they were given the same punishment as they had schemed to inflict on their neighbour. They were put to death.
Da 13- 1,62
Jesus' saying to Simon Peter - Created by Lucia De Grandis
So when they had dined, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonah, lovest thou Me more than these?” He said unto Him, “Yea, Lord; Thou knowest that I love Thee.” He said unto him, “Feed My lambs.” He said to him again the second time, “Simon, son of Jonah, lovest thou Me?” He said unto Him, “Yea, Lord; Thou knowest that I love Thee.” He said unto him, “Feed My sheep.” He said unto him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, lovest thou Me?” Peter was grieved because He said unto him the third time, “Lovest thou Me?” And he said unto Him, “Lord, Thou knowest all things. Thou knowest that I love Thee.” Jesus said unto him, “Feed My sheep.
Jn 21 - 15,17
Mary visits Elizabeth - Created by Associazione Culturale Talami Orsogna
And Mary said, “My soul doth magnify the Lord,
and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
For He hath regarded the low estate of His handmaiden; for behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
For He that is mighty hath done to me great things, and holy is His name.
Lk 1- 46



Note: the wording on the Talamo “Mary visits Elizabeth” does not correspond to the scene presented, but that was a decision made by us. This phrase was chosen because it is more representative and enhances the most absolute and sacred of Loves, so was why we dedicated it to the Madonna del Rifugio.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento